From 1929 to Present
In 1929, the Wadsworth lands were purchased by George and Ada May.
In 1937, the lands were subdivided further into 100–foot lotsor blocks.
SOME FURTHER NOTES:
There were three stone pillars at Number 10 Highway and Harborn Road that had to be torn down when Number 10 Highway was widened from two to four lanes. The pillars were of natural stone approximately 3 feet square and about 8 feet high. Two were close together to form a walkway and the other was on the other side of Harborn Road.
Some original lot sizes were as follows:
- Symes property was 4.94 acres, on the north side of HarbornRoad from Mary Fix Creek (then called Symes Creek) north on Gordon Drive to Harborn Trail. The original Symes home today is 2095 Autumn Breeze South. Some changes have been made to the house. There are 11 homes on that property now, including the original home.
- Gullen property— also 4.94 acres— on Harborn Trail, originallyalso Harborn Road, north side, center of Harborn Trail, east toGordon, north on Gordon to Autumn Breeze, north entrance. The original house, mainly a summer home is gone. There are 7 homes on this property today.
- Phillips property— 4,42 acres— on south side of Harborn Trail,middle, south to power line. The original house is gone. Thereare now 10 houses on this property.
- Hulls property - 3.93 acressouth side of Harborn Trail starting at Parker east to the Phillips property, south to power lines. The Hulls grew fruits and vegetables. Hull's original house was at approximately 222 Harborn Trail and moved to the backyard of 202 Harborn Trail and is still there. Hulls built a new house at 202 Harborn Trail. This house is the one-story part of Number
202 today. The two-story east end of the current house was added after the Hulls sold.
Sometimes in the spring, the ice would jam up against the bridge atMary Fix Creek, stop the water from getting through, and actuallyrun over the top of Harborn Road. Cars had to be left at Gordon and Harborn Trail as the road was too muddy. Isabella also became quite muddy in the spring. After the mud dried up, road graders would smooth it all out again.
Roads were alsso not ploughed of snow on a regular basis in the wintertime
and there was no public transit system. Students had to walk to Port Credit High School (now MENTOR), which was not on Mineola
but south of the train tracks on Forest Ave. This was approximately 3
miles one way. Doug Kennedy relates how they used to pull toboggans with
their old car, in the deep unploughed snow around on the area streets (no
barrier then) — unknown to the parents since there was little, if no
The only member of the Parker–Gordon family to live in this area was Ottolie Rubidge. They lived in the large house on the east side of Gordon Drive (what was the Laver property). Mrs. Gordon and Mrs. Rubidge were sisters. The Belford farm and the Maxell farmhouse were on Harborn Road. The Belfords grew fruits and vegetables. The Symes lived across the road in a large block house. Symes Creek
ran through their land. Before 1930, there were a few summer cottages scattered through the woods, with only trails to get tothem from Harborn Road and Gordon Drive. It wasn't until the mid-1930's that the lands were being sold and subdivided for families to live in the area permanently. Most of the new families moving into the area were from outside of the Cooksville area, many of them from Toronto.
In 1939, the Queen Elizabeth Highway was completed and that meant driving back and forth to work in Toronto was made possible without too much difficulty. It was the beginning of living in the suburbs for many young families moving into this area. Most of the families had young children. Some of the people, who had cottages already in the area, eventually built homes and made this area their permanent residence.
There were farms in the area around Gordon Woods along UpperMiddle Road (now the Queensway). Two creeks run through GordonWoods with low areas being quite marshy. The area was denselywooded. Mary Fix Creek and an unnamed creek between Lynchmereand Dickson Road would overflow their banks each spring in thepast. But now, with the development of the areas north of GordonWoods, the creeks upstream have been diverted and rarely now do the creeks overflow.
Most of the homes built in the 1930's and 40's were Colonial or Cape Cod style, Colonial of brick and Cape Cod of wood. A few were Georgian style. All were nestled among large and small oaks, maples, birches, pines, wild cherries, ash and poplar.
The ranch and split level style homes started to be built in the 1950 to 1970 period as the lands were further subdivided and developed. Even a round house was built (corner of Gordon and Harborn), which was torn down and replaced in 2011.
were renovated or replaced with larger homes in the 1980's and 90's. With the large lots, this was possible to achieve and still maintain the restrictions set years earlier. Most of the homes
replaced were from the 30's and 40's and 50's.
Very few of the original families are living in the area as the older generations passed on or moved away. Each time former residents come back, they see changes, with more development and new homes replacing older homes or additions to older homes.
In Gordon Woods, it is beautiful all seasons of the year. In spring, the woods come alive with the leaves coming out and the wild flowers in bloom. In summer, the flowers that come later are in bloom along with all the ferns. In fall, the woods are a blaze of colours from all of the different species of trees. In winter, after a snowstorm, it is a winter wonderland.